Friday, September 26, 2008

Tidbits

This old British sportscar is like the one my old college buddy had, except his was flaming red in color. After college, we both worked for the same agency in the Philippines where almost half of our time was spent in the field. He put his base salary in the bank while mine went to my parents to helped support the rest of my siblings in school. We both lived on our field allowances, which were more than enough to covered our needs. After a few years, he was able to save enough money to buy his dream car, a previously owned Triumph sportscar while I still had to rely on my "cadi lakad." LOL.


I saw this vintage plane on display at Fullerton Airport and it reminded me the pilots during that time fly in open cockpits. It must have been fun flying like that except for the noise generated by the engine and the strong wind blowing against your face.


This is a picture I took while walking along the beach. The dark spot you can barely see in the background is platform Emmy, an oil platform. When I was still working, there were times when I had to go there. There's a heliport not far from the beach and it takes only a few minutes via helicopter to get to the platform.


You can see the outline of Huntington Beach pier in the distance, a pier that was destroyed by an unusually strong storm. It was subsequently rebuilt and made stronger to withstand nature's tantrums.


Across the street from the beach are these nice but expensive condos. For the money they are asking, I'll rather live a few miles inland and just bike to the beach.

11 comments:

SeƱor Enrique said...

I used to collect Matchbox die cast model cars until I was in high school, including assembling those plastic model cars and ships in which I had one of these Triumph sports cars in my collection.

I also collected die cast of model airplanes and my favorites are the vintage ones like the one in your photo.

Wow! Memories!

I must say, you're getting to be quite a photographer :) Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your encouragement. A well-intentioned friend told me to junk my ultra compact point and shoot camera and go for an SLR (he has a Nikon D700) but I'm a point and shoot, shotgun-style type of photo taker and I am most comfortable at this level. BTW, you are good at what you do and your recent award of recognition was well-deserved. Congrats!

Oman said...

the first car got me drooling. i love vintage cars, i just cant afford it lols.

Rio said...

"He put his base salary in the bank while mine went to my parents to helped support the rest of my siblings in school."

- ang swerte naman ng parents at kapatid mo at nagkaroon sila ng kuya at anak na kasing bait at super sipag na kagaya mo..=)

Anonymous said...

lawstude,that's the same car my buddy drove me to church on my wedding day LOL.

rio, hindi ba that's a given (as in geometry) in a typical Pinoy family based in Pinas? The same is not true in Pinoy families in 'tate and I never expected that...different cultural surrounding and different time.

Unknown said...

Bert, I have a suggestion for you. Why not put a button or something for us to subscribe to your blog? I notice you've got a number of visitors already.

Anonymous said...

jane, I don't know how it is done. I am a newby in this field LOL.

Gita Asuncion said...

the condos look really great. but they wouldnt be the best place to be when there is a typhoon.

Anonymous said...

Fortunately, the storms we have here are nothing like we have in Pinas. They are very mild in comparison...you'll never even know we are having one, unless you read the news or watch TV LOL. If truth be said, I missed the heavy downpours and stormy weathers we have back home BUT certainly not the aftermath.

Anonymous said...

That blue car looks so cool and classy! Ako rin cadi-lakad pa rin. Hehe

Anonymous said...

ferdz, at least you do not have to worry about mounting gas price, mandatory car insurance, maintenance cost, parking fees,etc. Sometimes, it is better to rely on public transportion and if there is a need to use a car, just rent one.