Friday, November 20, 2009

October 21-23 Mount of Temptation, Tomb of Lazarus, Old and New Jerusalem, Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepuchre, Wailing Wall, etc.etc...

Some of the places we visited from October 21-23: Jericho, the oldest inhabited city in the world; St. George's Monastery; Tomb of Lazarus in Bethany; Old and New City of Jerusalem; followed Via Dolorosa to the holiest shrine in Christendom, Church of the Holy Sepulchre; the tomb of Jesus; ; Western Wall (Wailing Wall), the most sacred place for the Jews; Mount of Olives, Garden of Gethsemane; Bethlehem; the birthplace of St. John the Baptist; Upper Room in Mt. Zion, site of the Last Supper; viewed the Dome of the Rock and the Mount of Temptation (where Jesus spent 40 days). I've never been on a tour before with so many famous places to see, so much information to digest, in so short a time!

A fruit stand in Jericho

This is a telephoto shot of the Mount of Temptation taken from the top floor of the resto where we had our lunch. We did not have time to ride the cable car to the top of the mountain.


One of the stations at Via Dolorosa. Our group took turns carrying the cross from one station to the next until we reached the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.


This is inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Old Jerusalem.





The Garden of Gethsemane


A street in Old Jerusalem in the early morning


Another street in Old Jerusalem taken just a bit after noontime




I just passed through the security checkpoint to the Western Wall (Wailing Wall) when I took this pic.
The Israeli guard let my Swiss pocket knife go after examining it; the US marine guarding the checkpoint at a USN destroyer open house in Seal Beach last year required me to leave the same knife with them before I was allowed to enter. I guess it is easier to sink a destroyer than to collapse a wall with a small knife LOL.


This section of the Wailing Wall is protected from the elements


This section is in the open


A small bakery in one of the streets in Jerusalem


A bread vendor in Old Jerusalem

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

this series is getting more fascinating and interesting. lucky you for walking through 'our faith' literally... wish i could do the same with my family one day.
btw, that thing with your swiss knife, the destroyer and the wailing wall was so logical. =)

RJ said...

I am thinking about the exact number of years of existence of that olive trees in the Garden of Gethsemane. Wow!

What are those buildings standing on (?) the Mount of Temptation? I think late autumn and early spring is the best time to visit the place, it looks very warm in summer. (May phobia na ako sa heatwave.) Ano kaya uri ng lupa doon bakit walang tumutubong plants, magri-research ako.

Anong pinaka-favorite niyo sa mga places na ito?

bertN said...

docgelo, my swiss pocket knife cannot pass the airport security check. I've had three of them confiscated over the years that I have been traveling (each time when I forget to put it in my checked-in luggage). I always carry one when I travel or go camping because I find it very useful.

RJ, it's a monastery. Ako din ayaw ko nang mainit - very uncomfortable. It takes the joy out of traveling.

escape said...

whoa! kakainggit lagi post mo. hehehe.... ganda nga talaga kasi historical.

bertN said...

the dogG, thanks! I wish I can do a better job in my postings but, I guess, I'm at the edge of my ability LOL.

Reena said...

wow! i'm super inggit na talaga. galing tlga jan. origin of three religions. pero they live in harmony. (or at least in some parts of it no?)

parang naiimagine ko na so jesus na naglalakad jan ah. galing nung gethsemane garden although manicured na siya.

plus the bread. dumadami din ba yan if you buy just one loaf? hehe.

looking forward to more posts!

Sidney said...

Always wanted to go to Jerusalem...lucky you !
Nice coverage... gives me a good idea of the things to visit!

Dennis Villegas said...

Great series, bert. At last nakita ko na rin ang Holy land! Maganda pala! Beautiful pictures. I love the Garden of Gethsemane where Jesus prayed before he was crucified.

The Nomadic Pinoy said...

Too much to see with little time to digest - I hear you. With so many historical facts to listen to, I won't be surprised if there was a quiz after the tour and some would still fail he he he!

bertN said...

Reena, dumadami yung bread pag pinagpira-piraso mo nang maliliit LOL. The three major religions there live in peaceful co-existence but not all the time...and I don't want to be there when they settle their differences with guns LOL.

Sydney, you can stop by Jerusalem on your way to your frequent European trips/vacations just give yourself enough time.

Dennis Villegas, it is full of history. Knowing you from your blogs as well as I do, you'll love it there.

The Nomadic Pinoy, I'll probably be one of those who'll fail the quiz LOL.

AL Kapawn said...

thanks for posting these photos, parang nakita mko na rin ang jerusalem.

bertN said...

Alkapon, thanks for dropping by.

bing said...

these are lovely photos. the place looks serene and safe. or maybe holy, to be apt.

what effect did going to Jerusalem had on you?

bertN said...

bing, a lot! The young Pinoy priest who was our religious guru on this trip made it even more so for me. He was so easy going, buddy-buddy and down to earth. A total opposite of the the old, Spanish priest that turned me off religion when I was young.

Traveler on Foot said...

This is the kind of tour we want to have. still saving up. thank you for sharing.

bertN said...

Traveler on Foot, thanks for dropping by.

Unknown said...

oh wow, i'm speechless! i've been dreaming of visiting Jerusalem. this would be a mind-blowing experience for me. fabulous shots!

sheng said...

I have been having goosebumps reading your post, so real. I have always wanted to experience the places where Jesus has traveled. Lucky you for traveling that much.

Kami dito sa Gensan, iilang hours lang ng travel, Maguindanao Massacre location makikita mo, 6 hours to hell, ika nga nila...

dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

Nice photos of the holy places you've visited. I learn a lot about the place by just viewing the photos and reading your write up about your travel...

bertN said...

luna miranda, thanks for dropping by. Visit the place when you get the chance. It's an experience with a capital E.

sheng, I used to travel all over Cotabato when I was working there on field assignments in the 60's. The roads then were unpaved, dusty and full of potholes; some roads are even unpassable after heavy rains. This is no longer true, isn't it?

dodong flores, thanks!

julie said...

That early morning photo is so serene. Again, great photos.


is it true one can send his prayer to the waling wall through fax (or email)?