Sunday, August 24, 2008

then...

I scan and digitized this photo which I took during my very first trip to Europe. What caught my attention was the angler. He was well dressed and wearing a tie! I've never seen a fisherman dressed like that in Southern California. Of course, California is a laid back State. People here dress so casually, they even wear cut-off faded jeans with holes and walk barefooted or with flip flops that some restaurants, especially the high end ones refused them service.

On a subsequent trip to UK, I was even more surprised when I saw an English gentleman with an oversized umbrella, fishing along the bank of a river wearing a leisure suite with a matching tie and hat! Isn't travel a real eye opener?


I was aiming my camera to take a photo of the Long Beach skyline when, out of the blue, this bird landed and posed for me LOL.


My wife and I were invited by a friend to have lunch at her apartment. When we got there and I saw the food she prepared, I thought that there were other people coming. But it was just the three of us - the inviter and the two invitees!. I took a picture of the food and if you think that was more than enough for three people, you are wrong LOL. She still had a tray of litsong kawali and a pot of sinigang searching for a spot on the table. Talagang kapag Pinoy ang nang-imbita sa kainan siguradong there is enough food to feed an army LOL. Bakit nga ba?

I asked her, "Did you get carried away cooking or is this invitation good for the next five years?" LOL.


This is the street where a friend and his family live and every time I come over to their house, I can't help but admire their tree lined street. Makalat lang kung nalalagas na ang mga dahon pero cool, shady at magandang tingnan....lalo na kung ang nakatanim ay jaracanda trees.

16 comments:

Xera said...

oh how i wish i were in that fourth seat!

Anonymous said...

There's still some left LOL. She gave some to her next door neighbor, pinagbalot kami and she put the remainder in small plastic containers and bags and freezed them. Saved her cooking chores after tiring days at work.

Anonymous said...

Wow, daming food. I guess it's because Filipinos are really hospitable and are definitely food lovers. We associate food with everything -with friendships, with hospitality, with thoughtfulness, with sympathy, with relaxation...basta all kinds of gestures. Tapos palagi pang may take home ang mga guests. Ang saya di ba? :-)

rolly said...

It seems like the lady who invited you to dinner was carried away cooking. Kahit isama mo pa lahat ng blogger sa internet kayang pakainin nun. So, hindi ba kayo naimpatso ni misis?

Anonymous said...

dyosa,talaga yatang it is part of our culture and I think it is worth preserving. Hindi ba ang usual greeting nating sa ating mga bisita ay kumain na ba kayo. I've been living in 'tate for more than 30 years now and I still have to hear a non-Pinoy ask me if I have already eaten when I dropped by their home or get invited ("kumain tayo o saluhan mo kami") if I happened to stray near them when they are eating. Over the years, I get used to being invited to byob (bring your own bottle)and pot lucks parties. Nothing wrong with them but I don't think they are part of our native culture. Is it?

Anonymous said...

rolly, she did get carried away cooking but for good reasons, I found out later. She wanted to give some food to her immediate apartment neighbors as a "welcome me" gesture and freeze the leftover food for later consumption during the week...that is, after we were "coerced" into taking some home LOL.

Anonymous said...

was i impress with your friends kitchen talent! would you kindly asked her to invite me, hehehe. and that tree lined street, it reminds me so much of our old house in berkeley. it's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

That fishing man is so formal,I guess ganun talaga ang way of dressing up nila :D

Ang daming handa!

I agree with the tree-lined street. We have trees too, pero these are planted too near the house, the fence is leaning na and as of now, we are having the branches cut.

Anonymous said...

sardonicnell, I'll let her know you are an admirer of her culinary talent and I'm sure you'll get an open invitation from her LOL.

Anonymous said...

julie,I'm beginning to realize that Europeans dress more formally that we do. Maybe in the East Coast it is different but in California, anything goes...kung minsan nga clothing optional pa LOL.

One of the reasons why I live where I do, is because of the trees that punctuate the neighborhood. There is also a huge park across our major street that serve as an oasis in a near barren urban area.

Unknown said...

looks like it was an enjoyable vacation... :)

Anonymous said...

mikky, thanks for droppng by.

Anonymous said...

wow, that looks like a nice spread! ;-)

Anonymous said...

caryn, thanks for dropping by.

Anonymous said...

Love that tree-lined street. On a cool day, it would be fantastic to walk and walk and walk.

Anonymous said...

connie, I feel the same way about that street. Thanks for dropping by.