Wednesday, April 23, 2008

San Diego and Carlsbad, April 2008

We went to San Diego for an overnight stay at the Hyatt Hotel near the harbor. We got a nice room with a view and access to their Regency Room where they offer breakfast in the morning, all day snack, and alcoholic drinks and cold cuts in the evening all for free as part of the room deal. Our rate was heavily discounted because my wife's niece works at their Hyatt office in New York; otherwise, I'll probably be paying an arm and a leg for our stay LOL. In a place where street parking is easily available, the hotel charges $20/day if you want to park at their garage. This is cheap compared to cities like Chicago and New York. I paid more than $40/day for parking my rental car at a Chicago hotel and this was like 6 years ago. The car I rented at the airport cost me only $28/day! Talk about daylight robbery! LOL.

On our way back, we decided to stop at a Carlsbad outlet to buy some stuff and to check out the flower garden nearby. You can see the garden from a distance but to get "up close and personal", you have to shell out $7 (senior rate); more, if you are under 62. Nothing is free any more. I will not be surprised if in the years to come, we will be paying for the air we breathe.


Gaslamp area of San Diego - it's beautiful at night when all those lamps are on

View from our room on the 32nd floor


Aircraft carrier Midway, now out of commissioned and a current tourist attraction

One of the cruise ships going to the Mexican Riviera

A homeless guy sleeping in a nearby park. I ran into many of them while taking an early morning walk along the harbor. The local police try to drive them away from the areas frequented by tourists but they are not always successful. They don't bother anybody, they just want a place to hang out and sleep.



A section of Armstrong flower garden


A close up view of the flowers

12 comments:

Photo Cache said...

I have been to San Diego but not Carlsbad. I have that on my lists of "spring must-see". Pretty pictures. You do have a good view from your hotel room.

Anonymous said...

Carlsbad is a nice stopover on the way to or back from San Diego or TJ.

Unknown said...

Wow, great pictures! I particularly like the 6th photo of a tree and the view from your room.:D I encountered some homeless in San Francisco...they're mostly drunk but harmless.

Anonymous said...

Most homeless I ran into are harmless; if they happen to ask for a handout and are turned down, they take no offense and just move on.

Most rooms in the Hyatt Hotel we stayed in have nice views - it is because of its location and design.

Anonymous said...

i love the photo of that weathered tree amidst all the greenery. nice shots!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting!

Unknown said...

Hi Bert. Sure we had a great time. Cebu Pacific can't do anything to us that would make our trip unpleasurable. Hey, these are great pics you have here. I love San Diego - the climate, the place and how it is close to the sea. Oh, and also because of the old town mexico. Love the food there!

Anonymous said...

Glad to know you had a pleasurable trip. San Diego is a favorite city of mine but the freeway going there from my place is now getting too congested. Maybe instead of driving, I'll just take the train from now on.

Panaderos said...

I love San Diego. Harbor Drive kind of reminds me of our Roxas Boulevard, although it's a bit shorter. There's a very good seafood restaurant right next to the Midway called "Top of the Market". Prices are very reasonable but the food is excellent and you have a great view of the bay.

Thanks for visiting my site. Very much appreciated. :)

Anonymous said...

I'll keep that "Top of the Market" in mind next time I'm in the area. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

wow! the flowers are so nice.. makes me want to sleep on them. :)

Anonymous said...

ifoundme, thanks for visiting my site.