Sunday, February 2, 2014

A short trial trip of sort


I have not posted anything in the longest of time. I do not know what happened to me, except perhaps I ran into a "do nothing" doldrum. I'm making an effort to get out of this doldrum. I have done quite a few travels last year but I have been too lazy to post them. In fact, I just realized that I am not even done posting the river cruise that I did in 2012! I'll complete that sooner or later. If I know myself as well as I do, probably later.

Last year, my wife and some friends planned another long road trip. This time covering Vegas, some interesting sites in Utah, Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, Mt. Rushmore and wherever else we feel like visiting on the go. I came up with the "bright idea" of just joining an organized tour run by an asian company which covered most of these places. The cost was dirt cheap compared to doing it ourselves or signing up with western operated companies like Caravan, Cosmos, etc. They said no way because it was so cheap it is probably not good and worse, not safe. I told them I'll go solo on one of the shorter trips and find out if asian tour companies are what they suspected they are. I booked myself for a short 3 day 2 night test trip to San Francisco, Monterey and Yosemite National Park, even though I have been to these places many times in the past.

The tour was OK. The tour group I was with were made up of mostly youngist tourists from Singapore, Taiwan, China, Hongkong, a few US and Canadian based asians and a trio of young girls from Europe and a guy from England. The cost is up a bit now to $120/ person, double occupancy. A third person in the same room is free. Single traveler pays a supplement. The hotels are very good but they are often located outside of the city. I am not sure if the company is running a charity or a business but I am not complaining.


 I do not know why our bus' name is Bravo Express. I booked my tour with Take Tours! Hmmm.

 Inside view of our bus

 One of our many stops in Monterey







 Up to a $1,000 fine if caught feeding a squirrel!



She asked me if I want a sample.....of the food! I said I'll just take her picture LOL.



Wine tasting is always a favorite with me even though beer and whiskey are my preferred poisons LOL.

This young computer engineer from Taiwan wanted to share my room so we could both save the $90 single supplement. He said he is traveling on a budget. I said fine with me as long as he does not snore like a diesel truck climbing a stiff hill.

One of the ugliest pic I have taken of the Golden Gate bridge over the years LOL.

Our trip coincided with the government shutdown (complement of the GOP) so we were not able to go to Yosemite National Park. The tour company substituted Napa and Silicon Valleys and a brief visit to Stanford U campus. This was a wine tasting visit at Napa. Cheers!

 This brit from Manchester had too much tasting with the wines LOL.



When my wife and I immigrated to the US in 1969, my plan B if things don't work out to our satisfaction was to go back to school, get an advance degree and return home. I had Stanford U in mind because almost all the college professors in my major got their doctorates there. I think Stanford had a different idea though LOL.

We were not going to attend a lecture, we were looking for a bathroom.



Our driver ignored the loading and unloading sign so he was "rewarded" with a $35 no parking ticket. Poor guy. The one in the photo was not the driver, he was the brit from Manchester taking a pic of a rock. I asked him if he was able to coax the rock to smile but I did not wait for his reply.

I separated from our group when we reached San Francisco to spend the day with my daughter who lives and works there so I did not have any pics in the city. I rejoined the tour on its way back to LA. It was a fun, cheap and safe trip. I'll probably do more trips with them or with another asian operated tour company (America Asia), if I can convinced my wife and our regular travel buddies to join me. Fat chance, I'll say!

14 comments:

Missy said...

That's really a cheap tour and you had the chance to visit your daughter. You should try Yellowstone, I had posted my pictures of Yellowstone when we were traveling from WA to FL. And same with you, I haven't posted some of my trips, I was busy...with facebook and playing candy crush hehehe or I should say I was too lazy to post ;-)

bertN said...

Missy, the tour just cost a bit more that taking a taxi to the airport and back or parking my car at the airport lot till I return LOL.

We've been to Yellowstone when I was still fond of looong drives. I still like long drives but as a passenger. If I have to drive,I do not want to be behind the wheel more than 4 hours at a time now. Tamad na! Pati mag-blog tamad na rin LOL. I'm working hard to change, to get busy again.

George said...

Your tour sounds like it was a good bargain, in spite of the park closing. We still prefer to do the long-distance driving, but I'm not sure how long we'll be able to keep that up.

bertN said...

George, it was a good deal but I do not think my wife will enjoy it. Driving your own car or a rental is still the best way to see places. You are your own boss and you call all the shots, unless you have a backseat driver or a GPS that constantly tells you where you do not want to go LOL.

Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com said...

Good to see you posting again, Tito Bert. Are squirrels really that dangerous? They seems so cute and sweet to me. And yeah, the Golden Gate Bridge is not recognizable in your photo! haha

bertN said...

Aleah, squirrels are not dangerous unless you stick your finger in their mouth. There are lots of them in our nearby park and some even visit our backyard to mess up my wife's flower pots LOL.

Rakesh Singh, thanks for dropping by.

RIZALENIO said...

Sir bertN, so glad to hear from you and glad to know that you're ok. :)

Always a fun idea to go on a short trip esp if it's sunny outside. Find it energizing.

Happy weekend, Sir! Ingat po lagi. :)

Reena said...

Haha. Love your photo of the bridge. It's nice to see how it looks like at the other end.

Funny that you are messing up with the Brit.

bertN said...

Rizalenio, always good to hear from you even if it had been ages ago.

Reena, the Brit was hanging out with me because I was only one of a few in our tour group who speak English.

RJ said...

I joined a few tours operated by an Asian company here in Australia and it was all fine.

I wish I could visit Mt. Rushmore one day.

bertN said...

Thanks for dropping by!! I'm sure you'll be able to visit Mt. Rushmore and other nearby places of interest. There's an Asian operated company that offers a dirt cheap deal there.

Linnea said...

Looks like a fun trip! I recognize a lot of those places!

bertN said...

It was cheap, too. Thanks for the visit.

RJ said...

Wow! Finally.

Di na rin po ako masyadong nagsusulat, sumisilip lang. It's nice to know you're still enjoying your trips.